The Top 5 Mistakes Actors Make in Shakespeare Auditions

Monday

Lessons from the Golf Course

Last summer, I took up golfing. Only weeks before I started learning this game, I was adamant that it was not for me. "I already have so many things that I'm not good at; why would I want to add golf to the list?" I ended up going to the driving range, then working on putting, then working on chipping, and before I knew what was happening, I was playing nine holes.

What I found, and what I want to share with you, are some life lessons that apply to my acting career, not just to this silly game of smacking a ball with a stick:

  1. The odds suck. The odds are against you hitting a hole-in-one, just as the odds are against you booking a Broadway show at your first EPA. There are so many variables at play, most importantly that you haven't been doing this all that long. Even if you have, the odds suck. Hit the ball anyway, or go home.
  2. Relax, aim, and be patient. The ball will not go where you want if you are tense. You will look nervous and desperate if you are tense in your audition. Focus on your objectives. Take your aim. If it doesn't go the way you expected, be patient, and try again if you can.
  3. Sometimes, it's best not to aim straight for the hole. It may be to your advantage to zig zag a bit, around a tree, bunker, or other obstacle. Likewise, sometimes it's a good idea to take a job out of town, or to take a class and not audition for a while. The path to the goal is rarely straight.
  4. Choose the right club. I love my five iron, but it's not always what I need for the shot. Make sure you have the right clubs in your bag (monologues, songs, etc.), and use the best one for the shot you're taking.
  5. Caddies are great, but learn to carry your own clubs. Having a support system is so important, but be able to make your own decisions, and have the stamina to walk to the next hole.
  6. If you don't enjoy it, that's okay! If you have given this game a try and you still hate it, WHY ARE YOU PLAYING? This is an expensive, time-consuming hobby. Find something else that fuels you and go do that. You can always come back if you miss it. 
  7. There will always be someone on the course who is better than you. Learn to compete against yourself. What about your game is improving? Where do you need more practice? Focus on improving yourself and you will enjoy the process more!
I hope my based-on-real-life metaphor was helpful for you, whether or not you're a golfer. Wishing you all the best, on the course and in life! 




Want to improve your Shakespeare game?

No comments:

Post a Comment