The Top 5 Mistakes Actors Make in Shakespeare Auditions

Monday

How to Survive Audition Season (and Keep Your Sanity)

Audition Season. You're sitting for HOURS on the holding room floor, while girls around you gossip loudly while curling their hair, and you're probably on 4 hours of sleep because you had to close at your restaurant job last night. Let me give you some tips that I use to keep my focus and my sanity and have a great audition season!



1. Arrive Early to Open Calls

I know, it's absolutely bonkers that every year we have to get up earlier than the year before just so that we can be seen at an EPA. I used to refuse to show up for a call before 8 AM, because I really do think it's out of control. Guess what? It sucks, but that is just how it works, and if you sleep in, you are way less likely to be seen. 

2. Only Audition for Things You Want and are Right For

This amounts largely to doing your research. If a theatre is doing an all-male production of The Taming of the Shrew, I'm not going to the audition. It's a waste of my time and theirs. If the dates don't work for me, or the pay is too low, or there's a plan for the production that I don't morally agree with, I won't go. This frees up my time to go to an audition I'm excited about, or work on something else, or sleep in, etc.

3. Be Prepared

Of course, this means having your monologues or sides ready to rock the day of your audition (and if you need some help with that, hit me up), but you'd be amazed how many people show up to an audition without their headshot and resume stapled together, or ladies without their hair and makeup done how they would like. They get frazzled, and that energy follows them into the room. Why would you do that to yourself?! Get it all done in advance. I prep my headshots on Sunday; I always keep at least 5 ready to go, and 10 on a week I know will be busy. They go in a dedicated folder that goes in my audition bag. I also keep a pen, a highlighter, my notebook, my phone charger, any spare clothes I would need, and anything else that would make my life easier IN THE BAG. I know it's there and I don't have to worry!

4. Invest in a Pair of Headphones

Those gossipy girls, the crazy dude who wants to chat, and the nervous, unprepared person who wants your opinion on which monologue they should do will be at the audition. Put on your headphones and tune them out! Listen to music, or a podcast, or your lines that you've recorded for rehearsal, but ignore all those people and get centered. You're not a jerk; you're there to work. Don't get distracted from your purpose (but make sure you're listening for instructions from the monitor).

5. It's NOT "Rejection"

If the casting director picked someone else for the job, DON'T TAKE IT PERSONALLY. Hundreds of people auditioned for a handful of roles. Just because someone else got the job doesn't mean you suck. You weren't the right person this time. Recognizing that there are more factors at work than just your talent will keep you from getting burned out, and help you last longer in this industry.

6. Take Care of Yourself

Drink more water. Get enough sleep. Listen to your body. Getting sick isn't going to help you book jobs. Make your health a priority!

7. Have a Life Outside of the Biz

Keep some balance in your life by spending time on things you love that aren't acting. I love to go hiking, and I make sure that every week I see a friend in person. An added bonus is that it gives you something interesting to talk about! One CD remembers me because when she asked me what I had been up to since she had seen me last, I told her that I had climbed three mountains in the last month. Be a real human that just happens to be a great actor, and you'll be much more memorable.
With these tips and your talent and hard work, you're all set to have a great audition season! Go forth, and kick ass!

Wanna step up your Shakespeare game this audition season?
Email shakespearecoach@gmail.com to schedule your first session!
Click here to get my FREE cheat sheet on the Top 5 Mistakes Actors Make in Shakespeare Auditions!

No comments:

Post a Comment